Colored Rice is a fun sensory resource to have on hand. While kids play in it, they are gaining skills in math, science, art, and fine motor concepts.
How to make Colored Rice:
- Help your child measure 1 cup of rice and pour it into a Ziploc Bag.
- Carefully add 5-10 drops of food coloring to the bag and 1 tsp vinegar to set the color.
- Close the bag tightly, and help your child mix the rice by shaking the bag and rolling it around in his hands.
- When the rice is fully colored, spread the rice out flat onto a baking sheet.
- Bake at 200 degrees for 45 minutes to dry the rice. No need to just sit and wait until it’s done drying; Make another color with another cup of rice in the meantime. Then when all your colors are done, mix them together for a fun mixture of Rainbow Rice.
Use the rice for sensory experiences by putting it in a Sensory Table, large bowl, or shallow Rubbermaid container. Hide small treasures or toys in the rice for them to find. Help them scoop, pour, and measure using kitchen tools and funnels. Using markers, paper, and glue, create mosaic art and decorations. Or layer the rice in a glass jar, as you would using colored sand.