A deliciously dense and fudgy cake for the true chocolate lover.
12 oz semisweet chocolate chips or baker's chocolate, chopped
1 1/2 Sticks (3/4 Cup) Butter
6 large eggs, separated
12 Tbs sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 Cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 Cup Corn syrup
9 oz. semisweet chocolate chips or baker's chocolate
Chocolate Shavings for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter 9-inch springform pan. Line bottom of pan with buttered waxed paper. Wrap outside of pan with foill.
- Stir chocolate and butter in saucepan over low heat until melted and smooth. Remove from heat. Cool to lukewarm, stirring often.
- Beat egg whites in separate bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually add 6 Tbs sugar, beating until medium-firm peaks form.
- In Large bowl, beat egg yolks and 6 Tbs sugar until mixture is very thick and pale, about 3 minutes. Fold lukewarm chocolate mixture into yolk mixture, then fold in vanilla extract.
- Fold in Egg Whites in 3 additions. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake cake for 50-55 minutes, until top is puffed and cracked, and tester inserted into center comes out with some moist crumbs attached. Cool cake in pan on rack (cake will fall). Gently press down crusty top to make evenly thick cake. Using small knife, cut around pan sides to loosen cake. Remove pan sides. Place 9" cardboard round or tart pan bottom atop cake; invert cake and peel off waxed paper.
- Bring cream and corn syrup to simmer in medium saucepan. Remove from heat.
- Add Chocolate and whisk until melted and smooth.
- Place cake on rack set over baking sheet to catch extra glaze. Spread 1/2 C glaze smoothly over top and sides of cake. Freeze until almost set, about 3 minutes. Pour remaining glaze over cake; smooth sides and top. Place cake on platter. Chill until glaze is firm, about 1 hour.
- Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover with cake dome, store at room temperature.
- Garnish with chocolate shavings. Serve at room temperature. Serves 10-12.