To help our family think about the true meaning of Easter as it approached, my husband took the New Testament and listed the things that happened, starting on the Sunday before Easter until that day, including some scripture references. You may find this helpful as you reflect on the mission of the Savior this week.
I have also added videos that illustrate the Bible in a way that I find simple and true to the scriptures. You can go directly to the video site if you just wish to see the list of all the videos. Or if you would like to print this information, here is a print friendly document.
the Sunday that started Holy Week, what we now call Palm Sunday
• Jesus Christ descends from the Mount of Olives into Jerusalem on a donkey and people laid their clothes in the streets for the donkey to walk on and shouted praises, giving Christ a triumphal entrance into the city the “King that cometh in the name of the Lord.” (Luke 19:28-40)
• Jesus cleansed the temple (Luke 19:45-46)
Monday through Wednesday of Holy Week
• Jesus taught in the temple (Luke 19:47)
Thursday of Holy Week
video:The Last Supper
• Jesus Christ and the 12 Apostles celebrated the Feast of the Passover which we now call the Last Supper.
• Christ washed the Apostles’ feet and taught about and gave them the sacrament for the first time.
• Then Jesus went with Peter, James and John to the Garden of Gethsemane where he suffered to take upon himself our sins.
• Judas betrayed Jesus and he was then taken to an illegal night session of the Jewish court, the Sanhedrin.
• Peter denies knowing Christ 3 times during the night
• Jesus Christ was taken to the Roman courts and before Pontius Pilate.
• Though Pilate didn’t find any fault with Jesus, he had him whipped and let the soldiers mock him.
• Pilate followed Jewish tradition to let one prisoner go during Passover. He let the people choose and they chose Barabbas, a murderer and thief.
• Pilate let the people dictate what should happen to Christ and they wanted him crucified.
• Christ was mocked, whipped, crowned with a crown of thorns and made to carry his own cross.
• Christ was crucified on Golgotha and was buried in a rock tomb owned by Joseph of Arimathaea
Saturday of Holy Week
• Jesus’ body rested in the tomb
• Jesus’ spirit went to the Spirit World to organize the missionary work
Sunday of Holy Week, what we now celebrate as Easter
• Angels rolled the stone away from the tomb entrance and Jesus Christ rose from the dead as a glorified, resurrected being.
• Mary Magdalene and the other Mary came to prepare his body for a proper burial as there wasn’t time on Friday before the Sabbath started at sundown. They found the empty tomb and angels that said “Why seek ye the living among the dead? He is not here but is risen!” (Luke 24:1-6) They told the women to tell the Apostles.
• The Apostles didn’t believe Mary so they Peter and John ran to the tomb to see for themselves.
• Jesus spoke to Mary Magdalene and told her to tell the Apostles that he had risen and was going to Heavenly Father.
• Christ walked with 2 disciples to Emmaus in explained the scriptures without letting them recognize him.
• Christ appears to the Apostles and eats fish and honeycomb. He blesses them and gives them the Gift of the Holy Ghost